Topping the 2017 Medical Licensure exam is the son of a tricycle driver who is also suffering from a cataract.
Karl Emmanueal Cueva Mercader from the University of Perpetual Help System Dalta-Las Pinas emerged as top from a total of 813 passers. Mercader got 88.58 percent.
During a press conference at his alma mater, Karl said that he literally went through the eye of a needle just to finish his course in Medicine. Medicine is considered as one of the longest and most expensive courses in the country.
Karl also thanked his father for allowing him to fulfill his dream of becoming a doctor.
The young Mercader promised that he will work hard so that he can cure his father’s cataract.
Meanwhile, here is the complete list of the Top 10 in the 2017 Physician Licensure Examination:
- Karl Emmanuel Cueva Mercader University of Perpetual Help System Dalta-Las Pinas 88.58
- Alvin Lester Samson Villas Our Lady of Fatima University-Valenzuela 87.17
- Nigel Gerome Castro Cunanan University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Med Cnt 87.08
- Maude Sang-An Tabigue Southwestern University-Matias H. Aznar Mem. College of Med 86.87
- Dianne Katherine Rodriguez Salazar-Paras University of the Philippines- Manila 86.75
- John Vincent Loyola Severino University of the Philippines- Manila 86.58
- Kevin Agustin Arao University of Santo Tomas 86.17
Mina Liza Daluyen Carino Our Lady of Fatima University-Valenzuela 86.17
- Clint Christian Tan Garbanzos Saint Luke’s College of Medicine 86.08
- Aizel Jane Chua Lim Our Lady of Fatima University-Valenzuela 86.00
- Dominique Ariel Bingcang Tomampos Central Philippine University 85.92